Monday, June 18, 2012

Brunch with My Sweetie

Cooking with Chef Kathi 
When I first started posting my newspaper columns to this blog back in 2006/2007 I was very single. Well, as many of you know from reading my columns, that all changed back in 2009.

Yep, Bill and I will be celebrating our 3rd Wedding Anniversary on June 27! Since we will be up to our eye balls with VBS at our church that week, any sort of anniversary trip will just have to wait.

We've tossed around lots of ideas... Key West, Charleston, St. Simon Island, and Captiva Island, just to mention a few.

The hardest part we're discovering is scheduling. Between church, catering and assorted social invitations, the challenge of getting away, even for a couple of days, is becoming a bit of an issue.

But for me, and for Bill, the bottom-line reality is that every day is a celebration. Mornings begin with fresh brewed coffee on the front porch. Eventually, we get around to a bit of sustenance. When I remember or when the spirit strikes, I like to snap pictures. Yes, yes I know... it's the food writer in me that can not resist the urge to capture food, table settings and all things, entertaining on camera.

So for your enjoyment and mine :) I am going to post pictures I snapped last week on my camera of brunch with my sweetie.

Cooking with Chef Kathi 

The star of this meal, was a wonderful sausage breakfast casserole, that I assembled over a 2-day period of time.

Now, I want to share something very important with you. You do not have to bake your casseroles, frittattas and quiches in large, family-size serving containers!

If you are like me and have a small family at home, then you should consider divvying up the mixture into small, individual baking containers. This casserole was baked in two different pans. The first pan was a small loaf pan, the type that you might use for a loaf of bread or a meatloaf. The second pan was a sweet set of six  medium muffin hearts.

Cooking with Chef Kathi

Notice what I'm doing. Right after brunch, I carefully wrapped, zip locked, labeled and freezer-cached 8 individual portions of Sausage Breakfast Casserole. Now, on a moment's notice a scrumptious breakfast casserole is only a nuke away. Brilliant! It works for us. I hope it will for you! ~ Chef Kathi

Follow Me on Pinterest

No comments: